Pac 12 Football – The SEC Network
The SEC is joining the Pac 12 and the Big 10 with their own Sports Network. Will pressure mount on Direct TV to now pick up the Pac 12, as additional pressure will be created by the West Coast SEC fans. Football fans are demanding to watch their favorite teams games. Will the SEC Network cause the SEC conference to now play 9 conference football games? Questions still to be answered.
• So what do we actually know about the network at this time? Not a whole lot,
2012 SEC Football Plays of the Year
Relive the moments that made it another banner year in the SEC. From the opening kick, a record-setting Heisman winner and a 7th straight championship…The …
due mostly to the fact that the thing isn’t launching until August 2014 and Mike Slive shot down all questions about the network’s financials with a quickness. What we have learned: ESPN and the SEC have extended their current media rights agreement to 2034. The network will be headquartered in existing ESPN property in Charlotte and offer 24/7 programming. Some original programming will be produced on member campuses, although it doesn’t sound at this time like that part of the plan is as firmed up as the Pac-12?s. The conference already has a deal with one major distributor, AT&T U-Verse.
• So how much football does this translate to for me, Joe Football Fan, on this channel? Slive anticipates 45 SEC football games per season to appear on the network, at a rate of three per week.
• What about me, Steve Football Fan, on the West Coast? To quote ESPN president John Skipper: “This is not a regional network. This is a national network.” Repeated promises were made today of the commitment to serve SEC fans from Michigan to California to New York to Nebraska. We shall see.
Several coaches, including Tennessee’s Butch Jones, expressed excitement for a national television network as a recruiting tool. It’s particularly attractive for a guy like Jones, whose state isn’t a particular hotbed of homegrown football talent: ”You’re able to walk into a young man’s home from coast to coast and say, “There may be a week when your relatives or parents can’t come, but they’re going to be able to see you.”
• What does that mean for the CBS game? CBS still has the first pick of Saturday fare, but ESPN could program against it in the 3:30 p.m. slot.
• What about weeknight games? The conference is committed to two Thursday night games, but Slive maintains, “We’re a Saturday league.”
A lot on table with College Football Playoff PHOENIX — Although the new College Football Playoff format likely will ignite a spirited debate between Pac-12commissioner Larry Scott and his SEC counterpart, Mike Slive — as well as every other major conference commissioner — there is at least …
Crimson Rewind: Star’s power source and will there be a 4th non-conference … When the University of Utah left for the Pac-12 and BYU set its own independent course, it was only a matter of time before the Beehive State’s biggest football rivalry ended. But now a slim chance has opened up for that wall between red Salt Lake …